Law Day on Saturday April 13th from 10am – 2:00pm at the Victoria Courthouse. This is a free, family-friendly, and fun event that invites the public to learn about the justice system as well as justice-related organizations in our community. The poster and schedule are attached. We would greatly appreciate you putting this onto your Events page or in any newsletter.
This year, we have partnered with the Native Courtworker and Counselling Association of B.C. as they celebrate their 45th anniversary. We have some very special events planned this year, including:
- A traditional welcome to the territory (by either Skip or Brianna Dick)
- Drummers and dancers following the traditional welcome and drummers during lunch
- A complimentary lunch of stew and fry bread
- A talk by Elder and residential school survivor, Alex Nelson on Truth and Reconciliation
- A talk by the Honourable Judge Roger Cutler on First Nations Courts
This is in addition to our usual program of a fairy tale trial (based on the Incredibles 2 this year), a VicPD K9 demonstration, a high school mock trial competition, a number of non-profit community organizations sharing information about their services, and tours of the Sheriff cells and vehicles. We will also have a bouncy castle, face-painting, a photo-booth, and a balloon twister.